Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Don't Blame Florida

The most satisfying thing is that people who I didn't know and still don't know have now seen the film. The festival was definitely a success. It was a small room in a cool venue in Sarasota and I got good feedback from those who I talked to. And they were definitely not my target audience but they seemed to get the film and think that it stood out as a professional product.

The festival organizers were also impressed and I'm happy that this is where I started. It was a good chance to get some of our PR "machine" organized and for me to start talking about the film again in a pretty low stress environment.

It also gave me the opportunity to view the film again through different eyes. I was thinking about the audience, mostly older women, and was self-conscious about the swearing and the in-jokes but it turns out that it all comes together and makes sense once the Gulf War breaks out.

Question for today: Several people talked about liking the message. If you've seen the film, can you let me know, what is the message? If you haven't seen the film, can you let me know, what is a message about racism that you've seen in a film that isn't trite or didactic?

No comments: